Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Chao cac ban

So I’ve finally got a moment to sit down and write my first entry about my stay here in Vietnam. After only a day in Ho Chi Minh city we flew up to Hanoi north in Vietnam. We stay in a guest house in the student area about 20 minutes from the center of Hanoi which is called Back Khoa. In the beginning I thought Vietnam reminded me a lot of the scenery I had experienced in Africa with the busy streets, lots of people, construction and half built buildings everywhere. But it didn’t take me long to realize it is very different! Perhaps the first thing I noticed that was different was that nobody really came up to us. We are largely left alone while walking in the streets! Speaking of walking on the street, I just have to say that it is the most challenging thing I have done so far! There are soooooo many motorbikes. It must be like a hundred millions!!! And they don’t stop for nothing or nobody. To cross the street you just have to start walking slowly and let the motorbikes swoop past you. I literally thought I was going to die the first couple of times I did it! I still haven’t gotten use to it to be honest, but it is a little exciting to! The area we stay in is supposedly cheaper and more calm than other parts of Hanoi. It kind of leaves to question what other parts of town is like because I do not really categorize the area we stay in calm and relaxing. There is constant buzzing sound from motorbikes and construction. Usually the neighbors play karaoke all night long! And when I say “all night long” I mean from 11 mp to 6 am, no joke! Karaoke is another thing that I have to get use to. People just looooove karaoke here!! We’ve already had a little karaoke party with our roommates. It was all Taylor Swift and Westlife (Molly I was thinking about you as soon as I heard Westlife!)

We all share a room with a Vietnamese student. It didn’t take very long to get to know them. They are all great! I share a room with a girl name Tham. She is amazing! We get along great and she is very open and understanding. She is also very good in English. With some of the other Vietnamese students who are not so confident in English We’ve had some really funny misunderstandings and mispronunciations! But the problems they are struggling with are nothing compared to us! Vietnamese is the hardest language ive ever heard! One word has a million meanings you just have to change the tone! We are screwed!!hahah

The food I great! We usually go to the little street shops right by the guest house where they sell noodle soup (pho), fried rice (com rang) or some other Vietnamese dishes. The price ranges from about 12 000 to 25 000 dong for a full meal. That is about 1 to 1.50 USD!!

Now its about 11 30 pm and the karaoke just started next door, so I guess its time for me to start getting ready for bed!

Chao cac ban

2 comments:

  1. Love reading your blog. Don't get run over by the cars and motorbikes. I want to see your cute face again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww sugar reading this made my day!! I miss you so much! I cant wait to see your karaoko skillz!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete